Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review: Anasazi by Emma Michaels

Book: Anasazi (ARC Review)
Author: Emma Michaels
Publisher: Bokheim Publishing

Description: One year ago, something happened to David. Following the only clue he had he headed out into the desert. Now he has asked me to come see him. But when I arrived, he was gone. The people in town claim they have never heard of him and everyone wants me to leave.
But I know he was here and he is in trouble.
He can’t survive out there for long.
Can he?
David. I will find you.
My Review: Anasazi was a quick and exciting read. It included plenty of humor, sassy remarks, and seemingly unrequited love.

The main character, Megan, was very interesting. She was an obvious bad chick with experience in martial arts and an interesting ability to get herself out of sticky situations. She was the humor within the book. Not only did she have a sarcastic remark for every unfortunate situation, but she had an uncanny ability to really get under the skin of those that didn't like her, and even those who did. Megan represented bravery in this strange town where she wasn't welcome, but also let us see inside her so that we could understand that she was scarred. She was very flirtatious and I absolutely loved it!

The supporting characters/drool worthy boys, Lucas and David, were very different from each other. Lucas, the shy and awkward yet sexy boy obsessing over Megan, was sweet and I found myself rooting for Megan to kiss him during the entire book. He was so sweet and seemed to be the typical "nice guy." David, Megan's night in shining armor and the one she obsessed over during the entire book, was very careful. He was the kind of character that was afraid to take things to the next step because of what may happen.

I enjoyed this book. It took me on an adventure to a land I had never imagined. However, there were a few things that I did not like. First, although Megan made the book more entertaining, the jokes and sarcastic remarks she made did not sit well with me all the time. I couldn't make the character a real person, although I liked her as a character. (Confused?) This book reminded me of those movies that come out where although the actor's can't act, its still a good movie. Next, the book seems rushed. There is a lot of information enclosed in only 190 pages. I couldn't see how she could meet all the right people, and do things at exactly the right time, and have all the right tools with her at all times (or somehow just lying around next to her). It made the story hard to believe. Last, the ending felt rushed. There were a lot of questions left unanswered. Without giving anything away: "Who was the Anasazi, like exactly?" "Why could Megan see that little man?" The biggest question is "Why oh why is does she not know the best friend's man rule when it comes to one person and knows it for the other???"

Despite those issues, the book was great. I enjoyed reading it. It kept me wanting to read, and I tended to keep wanting to read when I was away from the book, even resorting to reading-while-walking (the equivalent to texting-while-driving...i looked up when i crossed the street) Megan was sassy and kept me entertained. I enjoyed it. I will definitely read the other books in the series.
 






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!