Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: The Turning Tides by Derrolyn Anderson


Book: The Turning Tides
By: Derrolyn Anderson
Publication Date: March 11, 2012
Publisher: Self Published:

Description: Marina has been through a lot in the past year; she knows what she wants, and she decides to take matters into her own hands to get it. When a twist of fate takes her away from Aptos, she returns to find that her whole world has changed once again. A fortune teller’s ominous prediction seems to be coming true, people around her aren’t who they appear to be, and to top it all off, she’s being followed again.
Marina and Ethan only want to be together, but find they are being torn apart by their very natures. Can they overcome a final obstacle to build the future they dream of?


My Thoughts: Why oh why does this series have to be over???

Okay, so usually self published books get a bad reputation. People think the books suck and have bad grammar or something, but that hasn't been my experience with this series at all. Yes, there is a grammatical mistake maybe once or twice, but you also see those in major publishers books so it really doesn't matter. Besides, books with major publishers tend to suck sometimes, so I say, self publish or agent, I'll give it a try. I am so glad I gave this series a try. Like I said in some of my other reviews, this was my first mermaid book, and I loved every minute of it. There's just something about a book that affects you so completely that you spend time trying to figure out the best way to see if you may be a mermaid. (I wont go as far as drowning myself to see if I turn though.) It made me want to try my hand at surfing, and swimming, and all that wonderful stuff that Marina does. Oh well, we can't all be supernatural creatures....

This book picked up right after the last book. I hate spoilers of previous books so I will try not to give them. Ethan and Marina are still going strong and she's still not as trusting as she should be, but I dont blame her for it. It's hard to burden others with your problems. Marina's a bit naive, as I tend to be, so she finds herself, once again, trying to figure out why someone keeps following her when she visits the mermaids. She gets herself in all sorts of slippery situations (get it? Because she's a mermaid. HA! I just crack myself up.) and I really thought that this would be the time it all goes downhill for her but luckily it didnt because I love Derrolyn's sweet endings. Oh and I love me some Ethan. If only fictional characters could be real........ This was a great ending to the series that had me hooked from the first page.

That said, there was something I didnt like. At times, I just wanted to slap Marina. She made mistakes she should have fixed a long time ago and I got annoyed that she kept doing them. She argues with Ethan at one point and it just gets worse and worse and the way it all happens annoys me so much. Probably because it reminded me of the way things happen in real life and I didn't want real life, I wanted fairy tale. (Yea I know...that's my problem)

I'm so sad this series is over. I loved it and I will read them over and over. If there's anyone out there that know's how, please, oh please tell me how I can become a mermaid? The Rating I give for this book? 4.5 Stars.

3 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this series so much. Self-publishers get such a bad rap. Though many have learned and there have been improvements, but unfortunately mindsets are slow to change.

Eesti said...

In the first three books the big issue was Marinas strong desires towards the ocean but in this fourth and final book the big issue was both her and Ethans insecurities towards each-other.
There is also a lot of jealousy going on which of course disturbs their relationship.
There were a lot of twists and turns that were completely unexpected and this is what made the book so good.

Sherre said...

Alexis: You're right. I hate that, and that's why I accept review requests from everyone.

I agree Eesti. I loved the twists and turns, and I loved that Marina made mistakes that everyone would make.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!