Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review: Rot and Ruin Jonathan Maberry

Book: Rot and Ruin
By: Jonathan Maberry
Publication Date: September 14, 2010
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers

Description: In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn’t want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash—but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.


Acclaimed horror author Jonathan Maberry makes his young adult debut with this detail-rich depiction of a post-apocalyptic world where humanity has fallen, the dead have risen, and danger is always imminent.

My thoughts: I don't have much to say except WOW. Okay I'm done!..................................................

You're still here? Guess you want more? Okay but really. This was a great book. The cover said something about how the book was full of heart, they just don't beat anymore and I thought, well that sounds stupid. How can a zombie novel have heart? So I put the book off over and over thinking the book would be stupid despite the raving reviews. Besides, I don't even like zombies. I don't even see the appeal. That would never actually happen so whatever. Nonetheless, I (begrudgingly) started the book. The first few chapters made me want to put it down. It took me a while to read it, although it was only like 15 or so pages. I didn't really want to like the book. I didn't like the young age of the main character and I couldn't relate to him for some reason. Probably because I never liked trading cards, but still he seemed too juvenile for me to read. Then, everything changed.

I cant really explain this book. All I can really say is you should read it. That statement about it being full of heart? It is!!! It makes so much sense now. I loved it. It was still hard to relate to the young-ish boy but after a bit it didn't matter. I still loved it. I'll stop here because If I continue my review is going to sound more and more ignorant because my brain cant effectively come up with words for the feelings that I feel about this book. I give it 4.5 stars and I will be buying the next book in the series. It was a pleasant surprise

5 comments:

Lan said...

Your reviews crack me up Sherre. I always think you're going to go one way and then you come up with something else! I for one love zombies even though I know it could totally never happen. There's something very scary about an enemy that's already dead but won't stop coming at you!!

Kim said...

Considering you don't even like Zombie but you liked this book tells me something! Lol. I've been looking for a decent Zombie book for a while (I've stumbeled across a few but not many have had good reviews). Thanks for this. I'll see if I can find myself a copy elsewhere before buying it (:

- Kim <a href="http://xokimreads.blogspot.com>(xokimreads)</a>

Andra Lyn said...

lol you're hilarious chick! I really enjoyed this review! I agree that it was hard to see where the heart was when I first picked it up...but by the end I was practically sobbing and snotting into my sleeves!

Sherre said...

Kim: Yes read it. Zombie is not my thing but I love this.

Andra: At least im not the only one who looked like a 5 year old crying over dropped ice cream. (My boyfriend looked at mee like a psycho. Who knew snotting all over the place wasnt sexy? HA!

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!