Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Mortal Obligation by Nichole Chase

Book: Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy #1)
By: Nichole Chase
Published: August 14, 2011
Published By: Self Published

Description: Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out. Seventeen year old Ree McKenna has three goals: get through high school, convince her crush she is more than his best friend’s little sister, and save money for college. Fate, though, has other plans for her. After the untimely death of her older brother, Ree is haunted by dreadful nightmares and terrifying visions. To make matters worse, Ree has started to suspect that something dangerous is stalking her from the shadows. A night full of frightening surprises leaves Ree with unsettling news. Gifted by the gods with unusual powers, she must devote herself to a battle that could very well lead to not only her death, but the demise of everyone she knows and loves. After all, Ree is the only mortal standing between the Earth and utter darkness. Set in Savannah, Ga, Mortal Obligation is the first book of The Dark Betrayal Trilogy

My Thoughts: I won Mortal Obligation in a giveaway a few months ago and it took me quite a while to attempt to read it. Based upon the giveaway sponsor's review, I expected the book to be amazing. Although it wasn't quite as great as I'd hoped, it was still pretty good.

Mortal Obligation follows Ree, a high school girl who's brother recently died and who can see darkness everywhere she turns. One day, something strange happens as she's headed to a concert and she learns that she's been gifted by the gods and is a super human destined to save the world from the Dark Ones. In addition, her friends have been placed with her to help protect her and they are immortals. Her life will never be the same again.

The story started out kind of strange in my opinion. We we thrown into the action and then a lot of time was spend in the middle of the story explaining things, only for it to end quickly. Despite being pretty predictable, it was still good to read about.

As with all YA novels, there were 2 love interests, and as usual, Ree picks the one I would never choose. I wont give any hints in case you all want to read it but just know, I'm not pleased.

It was a good book, and although I probably wont be reading it again, I don't wish to have the time back. It was a great storyline and an interesting story on the idea of immortals and vampires. 3 stars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book does sound like it should have been better; at least it has all the right elements; mystery, destiny /fate, and the Dark Ones. Of course though, I would say that I’m curious to know why you were so displeased with the choice Ree made for her love interest; but other than that I guess I don’t have any other complaints. I think starting out fast in the middle of some action or at least with a conflict and then following up with the resolution is the best way to begin; at least I’ve always enjoyed books like that and I myself would write that way if I were to publish a novel. With all that said however, I would assume that starting that way would be troublesome to find the right balance of “showing” and not “telling” as the plot unravels throughout the remainder of the book. Sounds like there was too much telling and not enough showing and natural progression of the story, maybe the writer was on a page limit (Lol) and they had to wrap things up quick; who knows, but here’s to hoping the next book will be at least 4 stars, ideally 5!

-YSA

Lan said...

Hmmm I don't know if this is the one for me. I think I've been reading too many books with absent Gods in them who trust a mortal to do their bidding. Plus, you know how I feel about those love triangles!

Sherre said...

Lan: I agree it's a little strange with the absent gods having others do their bidding

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!