Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Review: Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Book: Story of A Girl
By: Sara Zarr
Published: January 10, 2007
Published By: Little, Brown books for Young Readers

Description: When she is caught in the backseat of a car with her older brother's best friend--Deanna Lambert's teenage life is changed forever. Struggling to overcome the lasting repercussions and the stifling role of "school slut," she longs to escape a life defined by her past. With subtle grace, complicated wisdom and striking emotion, Story of a Girl reminds us of our human capacity for resilience, epiphany and redemption.

My Thoughts: I got this one a long time ago from I have no idea where, and I never felt like reading it. When I saw it in audio format at my library, I decided it was time to give it a shot. I should have listened to my earlier feelings.

The audio format of this book is pretty monotone, and I always found myself getting bored. The storyline didn't make it much better. It was just day to day with nothing actually happening, and the MC trying to overcome something she couldn't actually overcome because of her stupid decisions. Most of the book was spent with her talking about all the things that would be different if only she did this or that, and despite knowing that, she kept making the stupid decision. It's funny that I didn't like that since in real life, that's what people do all the time, but it was annoying to read about her dumb statements and inadequacies. Deanna was whiny, pathetic, depressing and annoying. Her family, friendships, and relationships are dysfunctional, and I can see any hope for her in the future. I wanted to quit this book so many times, but the only thing that held me was the fact that it was a book award finalist, and I was sure it would turn out amazing at the end, but I still didn't like it, and I feel like I've lost time that could have been spent reading something epic. I refuse to spend even more time writing this review than I already have so I'll just say, I don't like it, though there were some good reviews for it. I couldn't stand Deanna, or her decisions, and I just didn't like the book at all. I give it 1 star.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!