Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: Every Day by David Leviathan

Book: Every Day    
By:  David Leviathan
Published: August 28, 2012
Published by: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Description: Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

My Thoughts: Every day is an interesting book told from the point of view of A. Neither male nor female, A floats through life unknown to all. A has no parents, no friends, no real identity other than the one “he” gave “himself.”

A lives by taking over a body every day, following each person’s normal patterns of behavior so as not to ruin lives. That is, until he meets Rhiannon.. Only then does A realize how lonely his life is. Only then does he realize what exactly he’s missing out on, and only then does he break all the rules he spent his entire life trying to carefully cultivate.

The book was at first hard to get into, jumping from one life to the next is hard to understand, and the sexless MC made it even more difficult. Still, once the love story gets in full swing, this story is heartbreakingly amazing. I loved seeing the intensity of first love and loss and sacrifice. Some say this book made them cry, and though I didn’t have that reaction, my eyes did prickle a little at the end. It was sweet and I loved every second of it.


If you’re a fan of contemporary romance and young love stories and you’ve been glancing at this one, I’d suggest you take a look at this one. It’s absolutely great. 4.5 Stars

4 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

A lovely book, I agree. I rad it in ebook, then it was requested by my Year 9 students, a bunch of girls who passed it around and keep asking for more. The problem is, David Levithan's books are so different from each other! One moment it's the sweetness of this book, the next it's the teenage rom com of Dash And Lily's Book Of Dares, then it's gay romance. You never know what to expect.

Lan said...

This book sounds very sweet. I'm interested to know what exactly A is and how A goes about daily life in someone else's body. I hope this one has a happily ever after even though I don't know how that could possibly happen!

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!