Monday, April 28, 2014

Audio Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Book: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1)
By: Jamie McGuire
Published: May 26, 2011
Published by: Self Published (later picked up by Atria Books)

Description: INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

My Thoughts: Okay, I'm going to start off by saying I abolutely love this book, and despite the not perfect rating, It was an amazing book that I will absolutely read again.

We follow Abby Abernathy, and start off in the basement, at a fight as she's splattered with blood all across her pink cardigan. The culprit, Travis Maddox, her college's walking sex god. We would later learn that this is the moment he falls in love with her, only it takes him forever to realize, and even longer for her to return it.

Abby has a dark past that forces her to stay away from trouble, only Travis doesnt let her stay away, and soon she doesnt want too. The only problem is these two seem to be both bad for each other, and good for each other. In the condensed words of one of the characters, when they're good, it's all sunshine and roses, but when it's bad, they take out everything around them.

This love story is at once absolutely adorably cute, and absolutely devastating. I'd definitely rate it New Adult, as there's quite a bit of sex and other college type situations though the sex isnt explained the same way as erotica or Adult fiction. I also must add that though it starts off absolutely believable, it ends kind of cute and cheesy and somewhat unbelievable. Still, I loved it, and if you're okay with that, then you should be okay with this story. There's also quite a bit of cursing in this one, which I'm okay with since I have the kind of family that curses too much already, but if you're sensitive to those words, then you should steer clear. I loved this one, and I give it 4.5 stars. It was pretty darn great to read this wonderful....(wait for it)...beautiful disaster.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!